University of Surrey 

For Alumni and Supporters

Section navigation for AlumniAlumni News

Obituaries RSS Feed
Sir John Mason

It is with sadness that the University announces the death of Sir Basil John Mason, known as John, who was Pro-Vice Chancellor of the University from 1979-1985.

Sir John was Professor of Cloud Physics at Imperial College London and was Director-General of the Meteorological Office from 1965-1983. He held many notable positions within his field of science, physics and meteorology, including that of President of the Royal Meteorological Society, President of the Institute of Physics, Treasurer of the Royal Society, and UK Permanent Representative to the World Meteorological Organisation. 

Before he became Pro-Vice Chancellor, John had been a member of Council since 1969 and Chairman of Council from 1970-1975.

Sir John died on 6 January 2015.


Sir Harry Hookway

23 July 1921 – 25 June 2014

Information from The Times

Sir Harry Hookway, who completed his PhD in Chemistry at Battersea in 1947, was the first chief executive of the new British Library, having masterminded the planning of the vast building at St Pancras.

Sir Harry was handpicked for the task after impressing the government as a scientific attaché to  the British Embassy in Washington, reporting on the technological revolution in the US that was causing the ‘brain drain’ of British scientists to organisations such as NASA. He used his scientific rigour (and diplomatic skills learnt in Washington) to bring together several disparate organisations, such as the British Museum and the National Lending Library, together into the ‘hub’,  as he called it. Started in 1978, the final part of the building was finished in 1996.

He was born in London and attended the Trinity School of John Whitgift in Croydon. After his PhD, he moved to Washington where he forged a partnership with the National Endowment of the Humanities to take forward the English Short Title Catalogue covering the 18th Century. He foresaw the digital revolution and made plans for the catalogue to be digitised.

His wife, Barbara Butler, a professional opera singer, died in 199. He leaves two children: Simon, who works in financial services, and Philippa, who serves in the police.

John Wakely FCIS MSc

4 July 1917-2014

John Wakely, who has recently died at the age of 96, worked for Battersea and Surrey in various capacities for 45 years. He joined Battersea Polytechnic as its accountant in 1953, becoming the accountant of Battersea College of Technology in 1956 when the status of the institution changed, and then, ten years later, accountant and deputy secretary (finance) of the University of Surrey from 1966. He retired from this position in 1977 and then served for a further 21 years as part-time ‘Retirement Correspondent’.

John was born and brought up in the London Borough of Fulham. He joined the finance department of Chelsea Polytechnic in 1935 and, apart from war service and a year in the film industry, spent the rest of his career in education. John was a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries & Administrators and his professional skills as an accountant and financial adviser were evident to everyone closely connected with Battersea and Surrey. Ralph West (the Principal of Battersea in the 1950s) and Peter Leggett (Principal of Battersea and subsequently the University’s first vice-chancellor) both readily acknowledged John’s leading contribution to the successful establishment of the University, as did the senior lay members of the Battersea’s Governing Body and Surrey’s first Council (notably Sidney Rich, the chairman whose tenure spanned the transformation of Battersea into the University of Surrey).

John was a key member of the small central administrative team which worked tirelessly to relocate Battersea College of Technology to Guildford as the then new University of Surrey. One can only begin to imagine the amount of work that entailed, without the benefits of modern office technology. Indeed, recalling his time at Battersea and Surrey, John noted that until 1963 all cheques drawn on the institution’s bank account were handwritten and individually signed. It was only then that “after long and careful consideration” the Governing Body agreed to his proposal that a “cheque-writing machine which created a facsimile signature produced by metal dies” should be purchased!

But John was much more than an accountant concerned with estimates, budgets and balancing the books. He was interested in everyone – staff and students alike. For example, when the Battersea Students’ Union was suspended for a few months early in 1959, and had to meet in the bandstand in Battersea Park, John attended the meetings as an ‘interested spectator’. It is probable that he subsequently had a hand (behind the scenes) in resolving whatever crisis had occurred between the Principal, the Governing Body and the Students’ Union. He championed the case (albeit unsuccessfully after a narrow defeat in Council) for a member of the non-academic staff to be included on the Council when the original Charter and Statutes were being drawn up in the mid-1960s. Also, he often called in at the public relations office (then located in a goldfish bowl-type office on the second floor of Senate House) with the latest news of a former Battersea colleague with whom he had been in touch

It was therefore very appropriate that John should be appointed as the University’s part-time Retirement Correspondent in 1977. He carried out these duties diligently for 21 years thus laying the foundations of what would later become the Surrey Society and, more recently the alumni relations office, which now includes former staff as well as graduates. Again, he did this without the help of modern technology, for example cutting out pieces of news from the University’s weekly Newsletter and monthly Gazette, which a member of the Secretariat team then turned into a quarterly newsletter for retired staff.

On his retirement from full-time responsibilities in 1977, John was awarded the degree of Master of Science honoris causa and he also received a Queen’s Jubilee Medal in acknowledgement of his long service to the University. We extend our condolences to John’s daughter, Helen Faulds, and the rest of the family.

James Strawson, former University Secretary with assistance from Rebecca Grafton, University Archivist

Professor Anthony Kelly CBE FRS FREng

25 January 1929-4 June 2014

Anthony Kelly (known to his friends as ‘Tony’, but invariably addressed in the University as Vice-Chancellor or simply VC) was born in Hillingdon, Middlesex in 1929. By the time he was attracted to Surrey by Lord Robens (then Chancellor of the University) to become the University’s second Vice-Chancellor, he had an international reputation as a scientist with experience in universities, government and industry.

Undergraduate study at the University of Reading , where he obtained two first-class honours BSc degrees - General and Special (Physics) - was followed by a PhD at Trinity College,  Cambridge in 1953. He then worked at the University of Illinois and at Birmingham University before spending three years as an Associate Professor of Metallurgy and Materials Science at Northwestern University, Chicago. He returned to Cambridge in 1959 to take up an appointment as a university lecturer and as a Founding Fellow of Churchill College where he was Director of Studies in Natural Sciences until 1967. He then moved to a number of roles in government science for eight years, becoming Deputy Director of the National Physical Laboratory in 1969. He received an ScD from the University of Cambridge in 1968 and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1973 at the age of 43.

During the tenure of Professor Kelly’s vice-chancellorship, from 1975-1994, the number of full-time students at Surrey increased from 3,000 to 7,000 with a significant increase in the proportion of postgraduate students. During the 1980s the University developed a large network of associated institutions, awarding Surrey degrees (notably the Roehampton Institute and St Mary’s College, Twickenham, both now universities in their own right) and at that time it became one of the foremost validating universities in the country.

Although Surrey’s annual income rose from £6m to £63m between 1975 and 1994 – a significant real increase – the 1980s were not an easy time to be a vice-chancellor. In the infamous University Grants Committee (UGC) cuts of 1981, Surrey suffered one of the highest reductions in government funding, in spite of being at the forefront of establishing links between higher education and industry. Professor Kelly responded to the situation with characteristic determination, closing a number of academic departments (rather than spreading the pain evenly which would not have been in the long-term interests of the University) and further increasing the University’s income from non-government sources.  At this and other times, conversations in the Vice-Chancellor’s office could be challenging but, as Sir Austin Pearce (then a Pro-Chancellor and a former Chairman of British Aerospace) said many years later, when presenting Anthony Kelly for the degree of DUniv honoris causa “when he digs his heels in he is invariably right”.

A notable feature of the University’s strategy in the 1980s was the development of the Surrey Research Park. Anthony Kelly had first conceived the idea during a sabbatical term in Switzerland in 1979 and a small group (including in particular Jerry Leonard, University Treasurer and Leonard Kail, University Secretary) took the development forward. It was at around the same time that Anthony Kelly became the first Chairman of Surrey Satellite Technology. It is fitting that the building at the entrance to the Research Park which accommodates start-up companies is named the Anthony Kelly Technology Centre.

Surrey was one of the first universities to introduce a staff appraisal scheme in response to the 1985 Jarratt Report on the management of higher education and was also one of the first to draw up a strategic plan, long before all universities were required to do so by the Funding Council. Anthony Kelly was a strong advocate of the professional training year which has made a major contribution to Surrey’s consistently high graduate employment record. He had the interests of students at heart and he was meticulous in developing good relationships with the Students’ Union. He was a champion of student sport and could often be found on the Manor Park sports fields on a Saturday afternoon cheering on one of the University’s teams. He encouraged the development of a broader range of subjects in the University – for example the introduction of Dance Studies, a controversial move at the time.

Unusually among vice-chancellors, Professor Kelly continued to make a significant contribution to his own discipline. He was elected to the Fellowship of Engineering (now the Royal Academy of Engineering) in 1979, to the National Academy of Engineering of the USA in 1986 and to the Academia Europaea in 1990. He received many international prizes and awards and honorary doctorates from Birmingham, Reading and Surrey, Hanyan University in South Korea and Navarra University in Spain.

He is regarded by many throughout the world as the “father of composite materials” and received the President’s Award of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2011 in recognition of a lifetime of significant achievement throughout a career spanning more than sixty years. His major book, Strong Solids (first published in 1965, third edition 1986) is still regarded as the seminal work in the field. An international symposium Advanced Materials in the Marketplace (organised by Professor Michael Kelly and Professor Jim Castle) was held at the University in 1994 to mark his retirement. He was Chairman of the Joint Standing Committee on Structural Safety of the Institutions of Civil and Structural Engineering from 1988 to 1998.

At another event held to mark Anthony Kelly’s retirement, HRH The Duke of Kent (Chancellor of the University) commented on his ability, as an experienced yachtsman, to chart a course through choppy waters – an ability which helped to steer the University through a difficult period following the 1981 UGC cuts. At the same event, Professor Graeme Davies (Chief Executive of the Higher Education Funding Council for England) proposed a toast to the continued success of the University, concluding: “Professor Kelly has had the vision to set about one of the most difficult tasks in higher education – to change irreversibly the culture of an institution. I believe that during the thirty years since the Robbins Report only two of the former colleges of advanced technology have made it into the top grouping of our best international research universities: Surrey and Bath” -  a judgement surely amply borne out in current university league tables.

On his retirement from the University, Tony and his wife Christina (who sadly died in 1997) returned to live in Cambridge. He soon became actively involved as a Fellow of Churchill College (having been elected as an Extraordinary Fellow of the college in 1985) and as an Emeritus Professor and Distinguished Research Fellow in the University’s Department of Materials Science and Technology. He became a well-known and respected figure at Churchill, editing the college’s Review for many years.  He served as President of the Institution of Materials in 1996-97.

Professor Kelly was for a number of years a Vice-President of the Royal National Institute for the Deaf. He was appointed CBE in 1988 and a Surrey DL in 1993. Although from a devout Roman Catholic background, he did not allow his faith to intrude on his role as the head of a secular institution, while nevertheless encouraging the development of an ecumenical approach to the university chaplaincy. He was appointed a Knight of St Gregory in 1992.

Anthony Kelly died peacefully in his sleep at home on 4 June 2014 at the age of 85. The University extends its sincere condolences to the members of his family, Marie-Clare, Paul, Andrew and Steve.

James (Jim) Moore

14 December 1926-26 February 2014

Jim studied metallurgy at Battersea Polytechnic from 1947-50 and in 1952 became a member of the teaching staff, with a particular interest in welding technology. The department was in many ways in advance of its time in realising that close relationships with industry to find solutions to practical problems was of great importance to both sides. To achieve this, it would be necessary to call upon the expertise which existed elsewhere in the institution. Jim played a vital role in promoting these aims and the advantages he saw in industrial collaboration.

He was a supporter of interdisciplinary courses, largely because he realised that problems in industry were frequently of an interdisciplinary nature; of a flexible approach and the introduction of an element of general studies and, perhaps most of all, the concept of the sandwich course, not always welcomed by academics.

In 1965, Jim was appointed Industrial Liaison Officer, and in 1969 became Director of the Bureau of Industrial and External Liaison, whose tasks covered short courses, extra-mural contracts and contacts with the University friends. Jim was instrumental in in setting up the Surrey Alumni Society (now Forever Surrey) and integrating Battersea within it.

Upon his retirement in 1984, the University Newsletter said: “It can be seen that Jim has played a significant role in the establishment of a modern vocational university. He has an approach which is stabilised by a happy family relationship and it has always been the case that Jim and Jo have supported University occasions with a sense of belonging and fun.”

At his funeral, Professor Peter Miodowdnik, Head of he Department of Metallurgy from 1982-1988, said: “The links he created included inviting captains of industry to come to see what we were capable of doing and  getting them to contribute to the revision of syllabi so that they were more industrially orientated.

“Most importantly, he championed a system of industrial placements for students in their third year, following the system which we had started in the Metallurgy department. This meant that students had a whole year of industrial experience under their belt before completing their final year and gave an industrial context to their academic studies. “They returned more mature, more confident and more determined to complete their degrees. This gave them a valuable advantage when it came to subsequent employment interviews.  Jim’s tireless work in this allowed Surrey to top the league table for percentage employment after graduation year after year.”


Gordon Bennett

BSc Chemistry 1952

My father, Dr Gordon J. Bennett, was a graduate of Battersea in the 1950s and received his honorary degree from Surrey recently. He was pleased to see his class photo included in the welcome pack for that occasion. His wife (Rita) and two children, myself, Catharine, and my sister Gillian survive him. Dad’s interest in chemistry started at a very young age, even as  a school student he had a home laboratory.  He continued this interest, and, after completing National Service, he obtained a bachelor’s degree and PhD in the subject and continued to work as a scientist in the civil service. In retirement he remained a member of the Royal Chemistry Society and took great pleasure in preparing some short talks about chemistry and reading the Chemistry World journals.

People remember my Dad as very kind and caring, very talented, and able to talk to and include anyone in conversations on any topic. Dad was very active; he had a long interest in amateur radio, Scottish dance, family history and maintaining the home and gardening and was still corresponding with researchers about interesting publications: his short illness was completely unexpected as he had been well up to that point.  He was looked after very well by the staff at Leeds General Infirmary and passed peacefully away.

Dr Cathy Bennett


Aleksander Owens –Thurston

19 September 1990 – February 2014

It is with great sadness that we report the death of Economics graduate Aleksander Owens-Thurston, 23, who died following a skiing accident in Austria. Aleksander left Surrey last year and was working as a business development executive for an IT company.


Dr Leo Schenker

1922 - 3 January 2014

Obituary from the New York Times.

Dr Leo Schenker, Battersea alumnus and inventor of Touch-Tone dialling died at Basking Ridge, New Jersey, aged 92.

Leo was born in Vienna in 1922, to Max and Gisela Schenker. He attended elementary and high school there until 1938, when his family sent him to England. There he attended Kilburn Grammar School for about a year, first concentrating on the study of English and then taking courses that allowed him to enter Battersea Polytechnic, as a second-year student in September 1939. After two years at Battersea he obtained a bachelor of engineering degree. In October 1941 he was commissioned as engineer officer inthe Royal Air Force (at the age of 19.) He served in this capacity until almost the end of the war.

In 1948, he emigrated to Canada. In Toronto he joined the Research Division of the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. He married Alda in Toronto in January 1949. A six months’ leave of absence from work enabled Leo to study at the University of Toronto, obtaining a master of engineering degree in 1950. In 1952, he was offered a part-time position of research associate at the University of Michigan, where he was also able to obtain a PhD in 1954.

That year Dr Schenker joined Bell Laboratories where he was engaged in exploratory development, work in telephony, leading to a number of inventions, including the Touch-Tone dialilng system. Later he worked in military and other areas and eventually retired in 1987 from the position of executive director. After retiring from Bell Labs he was adjunct professor of electrical engineering at Cooper Union in New York for eight years. Dr Schenker was a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. In 2013, Dr Schenker was inducted into the New Jersey Inventors Hall of Fame for his work on Touch-Tone telephony and Picturephone.

The Schenkers had two children, Michael and Deborah. Leo is survived by his wife of 64 years, his daughter Deborah (Skip), two grandchildren Christopher (Cortni) and Jennifer, and a great-grandson, Daxton. He also leaves a loving niece Caroline (Dana) and nephews Richard (Pat), Marvin (Randi), Peter (Carol) and cousins Leo (Livia) and Henry (Amy).

Professor Leonard (Len) Charles Hollaway

22 June 1930-12 December 2013

It is with sadness that we report the death of Professor Len Hollaway. He will be fondly remembered and sadly missed by his colleagues, students of the University and the many alumni who will have known him over his long and distinguished teaching and research career.

Len was born in Dover and was educated in Glasgow and Canterbury. He was articled from  1948 to 1950 and worked as an assistant engineer for Thurrock Urban District Council prior to undertaking his first degree and his national service.

In 1958 he joined John Laing Research and Development Ltd.  He then joined Battersea College of Technology in 1962 as a lecturer in civil engineering and also in a pastoral role as the assistant warden of Ralph West Hall of Residence in London. At the opening of the University of Surrey campus, he continued in his post before promotion to senior lecturer in 1976. In 1984, Len was made a Reader of Composite Structures and was then promoted to a personal Chair in Composite Structures in 1988.

Len has an international reputation in the field of composites in their use in construction.  He was very widely published, with over 200 publications, including around ten books and numerous journal and conference publications. He supervised over 30 research students to their PhD & MPhil awards and supported/mentored many of his junior academic colleagues in their advancement in their careers.

It is a testament to his dedication to his research that he completed the final chapter of his latest book, in collaboration with a former PhD student, just ten days before he died.

Len is survived by his wife Pat, who he married in 1967, his daughter Suzy, her husband Bob and his two grandchildren, Ellie and Josh.

Morag Morris

31 October 1923-2 December 2013

It is with deepest sadness that we report the death of Morag Morris. Morag was a literature and poetry pioneer and an inspiration behind how the new School of English and Languages at the University of Surrey approaches poetry.

Morag had a fascinating career after taking the unusual step of enrolling to university when sixteen. She studied science, French and philosophy at Glasgow University from 1940. After graduating in 1943, Morag worked at Bletchley Park with a team of code-breakers led by Alan Turing, and participated in one of the most secretive, and most important, operations in the fight against fascism.

Morag started working for the University of Surrey shortly after its establishment in the early sixties. She had been appointed ‘poetry tutor’ within the general studies department by the first Vice-Chancellor, Peter Leggett, after Morag had suggested (as a guest at an evening soirée to launch the new University) that the University would not last very long if it had no soul. Morag also worked closely with Guildford School of Acting (GSA), training students to read poetry and would invite visiting poets to present prizes for the most successful performance.

Morag took the daring step of committing herself to teaching only twentieth-century poetry in the belief that an innovative and up-to-the-minute syllabus was appropriate in a scientific university, one that ought to look forward not back.

Even after retirement Morag was heavily involved with the University and GSA. She continued to support the development of poetry within both through donations and her ongoing advice and counsel. The University still hosts an annual lecture in her name, held each aqutumn, meaning her syllabus and spirited approach to teaching remains prevalent within the University.


David Voller


David joined the Battersea College of Technology in 1961 and was employed as Chief Technician in the Putney Annexe and later at Battersea Park Road. He oversaw the recruitment of workshop technicians to service the needs of the Battersea College of Advanced Technology and, in 1968, moved with the Department of Mechanical Engineering to the University site in Guildford.

David left to become Chief Technician in Mech Eng at Farnborough Tech in 1979. On retirement he moved to Dunster and later Minehead. David battled with heart problems over the last few years and died peacefully on 14 November, 2013 He is survived by his wife and three children.

Stan Bennett (friend since 1960)


(William John) Malcolm Salter

6 June 1937–17 October 2013

Dr Malcolm Salter went to London University in 1955, from Dulwich College (Battersea CAT, later University of Surrey), where he graduated with a BSc in Physics in 1958, DCT (Batt) in 1959 and MSc in 1960.

He captained the rugby team, was secretary of swimming and received full colours in both sports. Dr Salter also held two Students’ Union executive posts and was elected an honorary life member of the Students’ Union in 1960.

He joined United Steel Cos (later B.S.C.) at Swinden Laboratories, Rotherham in 1960, holding various research posts, during which time he gained an external PhD from London University and was awarded the Sidney Gilchrist Thomas Silver Medal and Prize from the Iron & Steel Institute.

In 1969 Dr Salter went to the Stocksbridge & Tinsley Park Works Group, B.S.C. as manager of the metallurgical laboratories. He published A Manual of Quantitative Microanalysis in 1970 as well as contributing chapters to two other technical books together with some 25-plus scientific publications.

In 1977, he joined the Iron & Steel Industry Training Board as a senior training advisor and in 1982 set up his own quality, technical and training consultancy which he ran until 2007. In the 60s and early 70s he was very active with the Liberal Parties in South Yorkshire, becoming Chairman of both Rotherham and the S. Yorks Liberal Group. In the 1970s & 80s Dr Salter was a rock climbing and outdoor pursuits voluntary instructor for the Scouts and at the Whitehall Outdoor Pursuits Centre. He spent 20 years as an active member of the Peak District expedition panel for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, being chairman for several years in the 1980s.

He served as a magistrate for 17 years from 1973-90.His main passion was always rugby and, besides being elected a vice-president of Rotherham RUFC in the 80s, was fortunate enough to serve on the Twickenham referees A-panel in the late 70s. In 2013, he was elected an Honory Life Vice President of Rotherham Titans RUFC for services to rugby, refereeing and to the club

Dr Salter leaves his second wife, Audrey, three children, two stepchildren and eight  grandchildren.

William (Bill) Groves

19 May 1935-11 September 2013

Guildford Cathedral 1976–2000 (Dean’s Virger 1979–2000)

Bill Groves was a loyal and longstanding friend to the University of Surrey. For example, he was always very helpful in the days leading up to our degree ceremonies held in the magnificent surroundings of Guildford Cathedral on two occasions each year – in the spring and the summer. During the years Bill was Dean’s Virger, the number of ceremonies increased significantly with the growth in student numbers – from four ceremonies spread over two days in the summer in the 1970s to many more by the time he retired in 2000. Even after retirement Bill often went to the Cathedral to help the University Mace Bearer, and there are now 11 degree ceremonies in the summer spread over four days.

Nothing was too much trouble for Bill – from organising the chairs for the platform party to making sure that the sound system was working and attending to the many detailed arrangements which are so vital to the success of such occasions. And he always cheerfully welcomed the ‘advance party’ which descends on the Cathedral the day before the degree ceremonies commence, to set up the Cathedral, lay out the programmes and so on.

And on the day of a ceremony, Bill was helpful and reassuring, for example to the VIPs gathering in the Chapter House. Some of the eminent recipients of honorary degrees are a little apprehensive about the ceremony - doing the right thing in the right place at the right time - but Bill was always there with a smile and an encouraging word. The ability to be cheerful, keep everyone calm and, above all, be reassuring is surely the hallmark of a good virger. The role also demands precision and timing of the highest order and Bill carried out all his duties as Dean’s Virger to the very highest of professional standards.

I can still picture Bill, conducting HM The Queen, accompanied by the Rt Revd Michael Adie (then Bishop of Guildford) and the Very Revd Alexander  Wedderspoon (then Dean of Guildford), down the aisle of the Cathedral on the occasion of a Service of Thanksgiving to mark the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the University of Surrey in 1991. His expression was one of total concentration as he carried out his duties to perfection.

The University acknowledged Bill Groves’ professionalism and all the help he had given over many years when HRH The Duke of Kent (Chancellor) conferred the Degree of Bachelor of the University honoris causa on him. It was always good to see Bill wearing his BUniv hood on special occasions.

The High Officers of the University of Surrey, and his friends from the lower slopes of Stag Hill, give thanks not only for all he did in his role as Dean’s Virger, but also for everything he was  – invariably cheerful, calm and reassuring and very often with a slightly mischievous  twinkle in his eye!

Bill is pictured with John Davies, University Mace Bearer

Frank Watkinson


Frank joined the British Welding Research Association (BWRA) in the mid-50s and I had the pleasure of working with him as a close colleague from 1959-1970. The 60s were a time of great interest and excitement in the field of welding metallurgical research at BWRA because the introduction of electron microscopy was making it possible to establish why things were happening; providing a firm basis for prediction.

Frank played a major part in the investigation of hydrogen-induced heat-affected zone cracking in high strength weldable steels; then, as now, a major concern. He led a team notable for its enthusiasm and its meticulous experimentation, building on the earlier work of Cottrell and Bradstreet. One of the highlights was his work with Brian Graville demonstrating the effect of temperature and strain rate on hydrogen embrittlement and the reversibility of embrittlement with temperature. Harry Tremlett and Tad Boniszewski also made notable contributions to the overall programme and a key factor was the development of rapid and accurate hydrogen analysis by Frank Coe.

Hydrogen-induced cracking is a multidimensional problem and rules for its avoidance have always been bedevilled by well-meaning attempts at simplification. Frank’s particular forte lay in establishing safe but realistic procedures for welding and quality control and assurance.

He took this talent with him and applied it in work for the marine classification society, Lloyds Register of Shipping, from 1975 until his retirement in 1988. This second career involved Frank in applying his expertise to the marine and offshore construction industries, including several investigations of major casualties; I know of no one with a clearer view of how to do this. He could even be referred to as an IT innovator, producing a data base of LR’s approved welding consumables on a BBC Model B computer which worked remarkably well, a forerunner of,  and not too different from, the system still in place today.

He was a positive man with a clear and original brain, often masked by an innate modesty and a quirky sense of humour. He was utterly reliable both, technically and personally, and he enriched the lives of everyone he worked with or came in contact with. Typically, after retirement, he spent a great deal of time and energy on behalf of his neighbours as company secretary of his housing association and an officer of two local RISC-OS computer clubs. He was also a meticulous craftsman using many of the practical skills he had learnt as an engineer.

He married his wife Anne in 1961 and they celebrated their golden wedding and his 80th
birthday this summer. They had two sons and subsequently six grandchildren. Tragically, his death was the result of an accident on his and Anne’s celebratory holiday. His legacy is both a safer and a better world as a result of his life. He will be mourned by his family and a wide circle of friends in which I feel privileged to be included. I admired him greatly.

Bob Baker
MA, PhD, CEng, FIMMM, FWeld I

Twitter Feeds